Monday 2 November 2009

How depressing...

This morning in our Japanese literature class we watched one of the most upsetting films I've ever seen - I actually wanted to cry when it had finished. It was Oshima Nagisa's Cruel Story of Youth, and I know Oshima is meant to be this cool, edgy director, but I have no idea what exactly he was trying to say with this movie. It was basically a lot of woman-beating, rape (and then the victim falling in love with her rapist), prostitution, forced abortion, some more rape and woman-beating then a nice violent death to top it all off. The main female character had no autonomy whatsoever, was saved from being raped by a guy who then raped her and then put her in more situations where she could have been raped so that he could 'save' her. The complete objectification and lack of any kind of respect for all the female characters was deeply troubling. I was planning on watching Alain Resnais' Night and Fog afterwards for my homework, but I think that's enough depressing stuff for today.

In other news, Pau is no longer offered as a term-abroad option, because it is shit. Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment